Date:      Mon, 20 Aug 2012 08:55:36 +0000 (UTC)
From:      "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>
To:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Replacing BIND with unbound

On Mon, 20 Aug 2012, Doug Barton wrote:

> On 08/06/2012 13:23, Vitaly Magerya wrote:
>> Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org> wrote:
>> [...]
>>> ldns (a dependency of unbound) comes with drill, which is a dig-alike
>>> tool. I'd like to see us produce a host-alike based on ldns as well,
>>
>> If there still is interest, I've got just that at [1]. This tool,
>> ldns-host, implements all the options of bind9-host (except for
>> debugging ones), and produces close (and often identical) output.
>>
>> There's a list of differences between ldns-host and bind9-host
>> in the man page (see [2]); most items can be fixed if people
>> will request for it. Some more exotic situations where not tested
>> though, so that list is only partial.
>>
>> [1] http://hg.tx97.net/ldns-host/file/
>> [2] http://manweb.tx97.net/http://hg.tx97.net/ldns-host/raw-file/tip/ldns-host.1
>
> If I didn't already say so, this is awesome! :)
>
> Dag-Erling, do you have a timeline for getting started on the
> ldns/unbound import?

We will continue to reject this until there are more firm plans,
proper documentation on the security support side, which I cannot
remember Simon got an answer for.

I continue to say that I am not willing to trade one for another
for the sake of just changing the name.

/bz

          Stop bit received. Insert coin for new address family.