Date:      Fri, 22 Oct 2004 08:00:12 -0400
From:      Marc Ramirez <marc.ramirez@bluecirclesoft.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: delayed process exit

--nextPart2719729.hYtWVZMcmn

On Friday 22 October 2004 07:29 am, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> Recent versions of CURRENT running on a uniprocessor Celeron @ 1800 have
> started (some time during this week) to behave a bit strangely.  I last
> updated my home workstation yesterday (Thursday 21 Oct) and the bug is
> still there.
>
> Some times, in a seemingly unpredictable manner, exiting processes take
> a lot of time to finish.  I'm seeing this almost every time I exit
> Emacs, because bash takes a long time to show me a shell prompt.
>
> I've tried ktrace on the processes that take a long time to exit, but
> the timestamp of the last call to exit() is not significantly larger
> than the rest of the trace output.  Whatever causes this happens after
> exit() has been called.
>
> Is anyone else seeing something similar?
> Any ideas why this might be happening?

I'm seeing something similar; for me it seems to be related to swapping=20
processes back in.  If _some_ processes get swapped out, it takes a long ti=
me=20
for them to wake up and swap back in.  The main culprits so far are bash an=
d=20
moused.  I'm going to have some time to play around with it this weekend,=20
finally.  I've been experiencing this for almost a month, and I haven't had=
=20
time to do anything about it. :)

=2D-=20
Marc Ramirez