Date:      Tue, 4 Aug 1998 08:49:41 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Vermillion <bill@bilver.magicnet.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: news service problems

Nicholas Aquilina recently said:
> Hi all,
>
> During the past three days, I am getting a message from my news server
> saying that there was a problem removing expired files.

Well is that the 'exact' message.  You didn't indicated what news
program you use.  I'm still with c-news and a small uucp feed -
most comp.unix and 20 or so others.

Troubles can be
1) running out of space in /tmp if that's where
	the /tmp files are stored.  Change it so that /tmp
	points to a file system with more free space.
	History files require twice the amount of memory
	as one is built completely before the original is rnamed.
2) permission problems.   Assuming that 'news' owns the files is
	your cron set to have a news crontab.   If you have ever
	unbatched manually and you were not   su - 'd to the news
	user - then that could be problem.  Go to you news
	directory and see if the permissions match.
	If not, from that directory, use this syntax

find . -user <badusername> -exec chown gooduser:goodgroup {} \;

I have found that 95% of news problems are 1) no space, 2) wrong
permissions.

However I have seen overfull directories give problems.  I've not
seen this on FreeBSD, but then there was no BSD avaiable for the
general public use back when I first put up B-News in 1986 :-)

Curious question.  If you are running FreeBSD why are you running
Microsoft Mail?