Date:      Wed, 15 Aug 2001 21:16:44 +0200 (CEST)
From:      carlo@vis.ethz.ch (Carlo Dapor)
To:        glewis@eyesbeyond.com (Greg Lewis)
Cc:        carlo@vis.ethz.ch (Carlo Dapor), freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG, glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Subject:   Re: jdk-1.3.1 (alpha)'s libnet.so can't resolve symbol gethostbyname_r

> > The error is due to libnet.so trying to revolve a call to getnamebyhost_r.
> > There is no such system call in FreeBSD, or am I missing something here ?
>
> You are correct, however there is a gethostbyname_r implementation provided
> as part of the green threads subsystem (for this reason).
>
> Did the patches actually apply cleanly for you?  With Sun having changed
> the distribution it may be that this part of the patch didn't apply
> correctly.

I downloaded the beta JDK 1.3.1 sources a while ago.  Both patch set 1
and 2 applied cleanly, calling patch -p0 -E, if that matters.

However, as I posted a few weeks ago, I can not build the 'images' in one
run.

Here's how I get a succesfull build:

    #1: gmake LINK.c=gcc LINK.cc=g++ HPIS="green" EXTRA_LIBS="-lm" INSANE=yes

This does not get past building java, or what is javac ?
Cheating a little, by fake-creating invokers.c, as I described in a former
mail, I get to re-run #1, and I have a first 'green' baby.

    #2: gmake LINK.c=gcc LINK.cc=g++ HPIS=native EXTRA_LIBS="-lm" INSANE=yes

I really do need to build it with INSANE switched on, as the Makefile do not
correctly 'pick up' libverify.so/libverify_g.so.  If I want to go w/o
INSANE switched on, I have to symlink libverify(|_).so to
lib/i386/classic/libverify(|_g).so !!

Again, I build on a FreeBSD current with very recently built m4, bison, zip,
gnumake - am I misssing one ?

Also, could we incorporate the 'clean' target I suggested, so one can wipe
a build in j2sdk1.3.1/make ?  I really do not like to issue 'gmake clobber',
it is too drastic for my pusposes.

Greg, Bill, Nate and others, thanks for the roller-coaster ride so far !!!

Ciao, derweil,
--
Carlo

PS: The problem has disappeared; believe it or not, I ran 'make world' over
    night, and right now I run Jigsaw for the very first time with jdk 1.3.1,
    I am a one-big-smiling-from-ear-to-ear guy !!!!!!