Date:      Sun, 04 Jul 1999 12:25:22 -0700
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   LDAPed FreeBSD

I am playing around with configuring the system and providing a CLI ,
programmatic interface and a html interface .

Floating in my mind is to present a uniform configuration repository similar
to windows registery however the information repository is implemented
with LDAP. See http://www.openldap.org for info on LDAP.

The tough part is creating the LDAP schemas for the various daemons
or services.

Got lucky and found an IETF draft :

   An LDAP Schema for Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol Service
   http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gu-dhcp-ldap-schema-00.txt

I am using the above draft to explore configuring dhcpd. My first cut at
configuring dhcpd via LDAP is to extract all the configuration information
from the LDAP server and writing the information to dhcpd's configuration
file and then have dhcpd parse the configuration file. This approach
minimizes the changes to dhcpd and provides persistent configuration
information for dhcpd.

The start of my html interface is at:

http://www.star-gate.com/dhcpd.html

Thats just a dummy front end . The real interface is being implemented as a
servlet
and will provide a more rich presentation --- help files , How To, etc...

The CLI interface can be as easy as using the existing ldap shell tools.

The programmatic interface is simply the LDAP C and Java interface available
from : http://www.mozilla.org/directory

So far I have a simple ldap schema based upon the IETF draft which I can
manage from my servlet and query from dhcpd.

	What do you guys think?

--

 Amancio Hasty
 ahasty@mindspring.com