Date:      Fri, 18 Jan 2002 01:22:43 +0100
From:      "Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg" <listsub@rambo.simx.org>
To:        Thomas Cannon <tcannon@noops.org>
Cc:        "Brian T.Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>, Clark Mankin <cmankin@harbornet.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD network hired guns?

Thomas Cannon wrote:

>>>gateway of 0.0.0.0 and unfortunately BSD is completely unwilling to accept
>>>
>>Your gateway is 0.0.0.0 ?  That's . . . um . . . rather unconventional, isn't
>>it?  I thought that was a reserved (illegal) IP address.  In fact, I'm really
>>pretty sure that it is.  Does Linux really accept a 0.0.0.0 address?
>>

>Nah, that's plenty legal. It just means that the whole internet is on the
>local LAN.
>
>If you have a router running proxy arp, when that machine tries to connect
>to the outside world, it'll arp for the MAC thinking the remote machine is
>local, the router will answer for it, and route the traffic. Useful if you
>have more than one router and don't want to configure a default route in
>case that router dies. It's been replaced by better stuff, like HSRP,
>FSRP, VRRP, and the like ... but yes, it is legal. But it's also not what
>he's trying to do, either.
>
>And I certainly wouldn't encourage anyone else to, either ;-)
>
>thomas

Just a quick question:
If the fbsd box in question is assigned an IP address in the
209.180.198.17 space with netmask 255.255.255.248, how will that make it
believe that all machines are on the local lan?
Im no expert, but I thought it was the netmask that decided the size of
the lan, not the default route?