Date:      Fri, 22 Jun 2001 16:02:17 -0700
From:      "Kris Anderson" <ohshutup@zdnetmail.com>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: disable traceroute to my host

You can put in a rule like

ipfw add 3 deny icmp from any to FF.FF.FF.FF via F0

change FF.FF.FF.FF to the ip address of your outside ip address
change F0 to the interface name of said outside interface

now I don't know about directly blocking traceroutes only but traceroute
does an icmp thing somewhat like ping.

Problem is that this will stop all ICMP from coming into the interface
from the outside, even ICMP responses.

For example, you can traceroute out, but traceroute responses now get
blocked (This includes anything that uses ICMP) does not get back in
because it is being blocked by the above rule.  Think of it as one way
mirror.

Now, if anybody knows of a more subtler way to allow ICMP out and back
in, but keep any externals from coming in I certainly am one who would
like to know.
--
Kris Anderson
ohshutup@zdnetonebox.com - email