Date:      Tue, 14 Aug 2001 13:52:13 -0400
From:      Jerry A! <jerry@thehutt.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   MFS Sizing Problems

I'm trying to get an mfs /tmp set up on a box running 4.4-PRERELEASE
(20010810).

There are two issues I'm running into.

1. No matter what size I give via the "-s" option, the partition is
never larger than 500M.  This machine has a 1g of physical mem and 2g of
swap.  It has breathing room for the 800M I would prefer to make /tmp.

2. Undaunted, I decided to use the 500M for right now, realizing that
when I compiled X it would end up having to swap to disk.  However, that
never happened.  The 500m in /tmp filled up, but never swapped any of
itself out to disk.

For 1, is there some sysctl knob that I can change?  For 2, is this a
bug or just something funky in regards to FreeBSD's implementation of
mfs?

Thanks in advance...

        --Jerry

name:  Jerry Alexandratos         ||  Open-Source software isn't a
phone: 703.599.6023               ||  matter of life or death...
email: jerry@thehutt.org          ||  ...It's much more important