Date:      Wed, 20 Jun 2012 16:40:31 -0700
From:      Devin Teske <devin.teske@fisglobal.com>
To:        <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Cc:        bapt@freebsd.org, McDowell <rcm@fuzzwad.org>, Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>, Ron
Subject:   [CFT] sysutils/bsdconfig: Replacement for sysinstall(8) post-install configuration abilities

Hi Folks,

This is a call for testing of the new sysutils/bsdconfig port.

Back in February, Ron McDowell and myself together decided we were going to=
 take-on the task of salvaging sysinstall(8)'s "Configure" menu while simul=
taneously rewriting it into a system of shell scripts (making it similar to=
 bsdinstall) so that sysinstall(8) could be safely and quietly "put to past=
ure" (meanwhile contradictorily _increasing_ functionality due to several e=
nhancements performed in the process).

After talking with a lot of other developers and really helpful folks, we d=
ecided to shoot for the 9.1-R freeze to coincide with other new features li=
ke pkgng. Currently, bsdconfig cannot do what sysinstall is known most for =
(package installation), but that is because we have a plan to _start_ with =
pkgng (and it just works better if pkgng can mature before the integration).

If the thought of losing sysinstall has ever made you uneasy because unique=
 functionality not found elsewhere, please try the sysutils/bsdconfig port =
to help get it some testing.

With ~25,000 lines of code, we really need to get some testing on this befo=
re adding this to HEAD and I've turned the source into a port to make the t=
esting process easier and to widen the audience.

If you have the time and/or energy, please test and report any issues that =
you experience.

If things go well, we can get this MFC'd from HEAD before the 9.1 freeze.
--=20
Devin

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidentia=
l. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message an=
d all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any ma=
nner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately. In addition, please be aware=
 that any message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving and revie=
w by persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.