Date:      Fri, 17 Aug 2001 19:56:30 -0500
From:      "NOC - KP^2" <noc@kulish.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Postfix w/ smtp auth

Wasnt sure what list, so I posted to postfix and here.

Trying to get smtp auth working on a postfix install from the
Freebsd4.4stable ports.  I am almost there, its actually trying to
authenticate (using outlook express6 from another machine) via sasldb, but
for some reason its not able to.  Without smtp auth enabled, its sends out
email fine.

Here is what I did:

1. did an saslpasswd -c username (entered password)

2. Put the following in my main.cf for postfix:
queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
command_directory = /usr/local/sbin
daemon_directory = /usr/local/libexec/postfix
mail_owner = postfix
default_privs = nobody
smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtpd_sasl_local_domain = $mydomain
myorigin = $mydomain
mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain $mydomain
mail_spool_directory = /var/mail
debug_peer_level = 2
debugger_command =
         PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin
         xxgdb $daemon_directory/$process_name $process_id & sleep 5
smtpd_client_restrictions = permit_sasl_authenticated

3.  Attempt to send an email to a domain on the internet via outlook express
with outgoing server requires authentication enabled (I want to use
plaintext passwords for now)

4.  I get this in the logfile:
Aug 17 17:37:47 mordor postfix/smtpd[47290]: warning: mirkwood[10.1.1.1]:
SASL LOGIN authentication failed

5. When I telnet to localhost 25 I get this:
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.kulish.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mordor.kulish.com ESMTP Postfix
ehlo localhost
250-mordor.kulish.com
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 10240000
250-VRFY
250-ETRN
250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5
250 8BITMIME
quit
221 Bye
Connection closed by foreign host.

6. And as a last ditch effort, I add an actual user to the box.

Now, the docs for postfix said that clients try authentication methods in
the order as advertised (which puts login first), this is where I think it
is failing but I have no idea how to fix it.  Any help would be appreciated
and sorry for the long message.  (Didnt want to get a bunch of replies
requesting added info  :)

Thanks!
Chris K.