Date:      Wed, 12 May 1999 08:04:34 -0500
From:      Guy Helmer <ghelmer@scl.ameslab.gov>
To:        boards yan <boardyan@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why not response?

On Tue, 11 May 1999, boards yan wrote:

> hi,
> In a program, I have to implement a function.
> That is,   (not a hacker's idea)
>
> A--------------R----------------B
> 1,A tries to make a tcp connection to B.
> 2,R is A's default router.
> 3,When R receive A's ip packet, it just changes the ip   source address
> by the address of itself.
>   Then R sends the packets.
>   R pretends that it is him that wants to establish a    tcp connection
> with B.
> 4,B receives the packets, and responds to R...
>
> The issue is B does response icmp packets(ping),
> but does not response tcp packets
> as if it regards them illegal packets and therefore discards them.

This sounds a lot like what the FreeBSD natd (network address translation
daemon) can do...

I think we could use the output from tcpdump running on B to help you
diagnose this problem.

Guy

Guy Helmer, Ph.D. Candidate, Iowa State University Dept. of Computer Science
Research Assistant, Ames Laboratory       ---         ghelmer@scl.ameslab.gov
Research Assistant, Dept. of Computer Science   ---   ghelmer@cs.iastate.edu
http://www.cs.iastate.edu/~ghelmer