Date:      Wed, 01 Oct 1997 17:06:05 -0600
From:      "Mike Durian" <durian@plutotech.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        dg@root.com, dyson@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: strange interaction with Pentium and fxp

On Wed, 01 Oct 1997 12:45:27 MDT, "Mike Durian" <durian@plutotech.com> wrote:
>The only difference
>I can detect is that the old kernel stores the mbuf at
>a physical address like 0x2bxx54 and the new one has the
>mbuf at 0x3f54 - a much lower memory address.
>  I should also mention that this problem does not occur
>on a Pentium Pro system.  I have not stuck my PCI bus
>analyzer on the P6 machine, so I'm not positive it uses
>the same addresses, but I'm assuming it would.  This could
>very well be a 430FX chipset bug, but I still need a work
>around.

  I'm got a better grasp on the problem now.  I tried running
the new kernel on another P6 system and when I experienced the
same problem, I knew it wasn't a chipset bug.  The only difference
between the two P6's was the amount of memory.  The one that
worked had 64MB and the one that failed on 32MB.  When I put
64MB in the one that failed, it started working.  Then I put
64MB in the Pentium machine and it too started working.  Here's
what I know:

Machine	Mem	kernel	mbuf Phys Addr.	result
P6	64MB	new	NA		OK
P6	32MB	new	NA		fail
P5	32MB	new	0x00003f54	fail
P5	32MB	old	0x002b9f54	OK
P5	64MB	new	0x0009bf54	OK

Apparently, there is a problem with the EtherExpress card
DMAing data out of host memory at physical address 0x3f54
using the memory read multiple PCI transaction.
  Does anyone know why 0x3f54 would be an unacceptable
address, and does anyone have a fix?

mike