Date:      Mon, 27 Apr 1998 18:53:11 -800
From:      walton@nordicdms.com (Dave Walton)
To:        "Mike O'Brien" <obrien@rush.aero.org>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 1542 vs. 2940 geometries?

On 27 Apr 98 at 14:06, Mike O'Brien wrote:

> 	Do the Adaptec 1542 and the 2940 translate disk geometries differently?
> My 1542 died and, not having a spare, we plugged a 2940 into the machine.  It
> didn't seem to work too well (like, things went nuts after trying to start the
> boot program) so we were wondering if the 1542 and the 2940 use different disk
> geometry translations?

I believe it depends on the settings.  I've been able to take a drive
from a 2940 and use it on a 1540 successfully, so I'd imagine it's
possible to go the other direction.  Obviously, you might have
problems if the controllers are configured differently, but that is
true even if you swap out the same model.   Look for settings like
the >1GB translation setting, and see if changing them has any
effect.

Dave