Date:      Fri,  2 Mar 2007 16:52:52 +1100 (EST)
From:      Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ports/109745: NO_PACKAGE handling by ports build system

>Number:         109745
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       NO_PACKAGE handling by ports build system
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD k7.mavetju 6.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE #0: Sun May 7 04:42:56 UTC 2006 root@opus.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SMP i386

The documentation in Mk/bsd.port.mk says:

    # NO_PACKAGE    - Port should not be packaged for ftp sites or CDROMs,
    #                 but distfiles can be put on ftp sites and CDROM

And the FreeBSD Porters Handbook says:
    6.2.1 NO_PACKAGE

    This variable indicates that we may not generate a binary package
    of the application. For instance, the license may disallow
    binary redistribution, or it may prohibit distribution of
    packages created from patched sources.

    However, the port's DISTFILES may be freely mirrored on FTP/HTTP.
    They may also be distributed on a CD-ROM (or similar media)
    unless NO_CDROM is set as well.

but for the ports I checked (audio/aureal-kmod, misc/zoneinfo,
www/srilm) the distfiles are not available on the MASTER_SITE_BACKUP.