Date:      Tue, 5 Feb 2002 11:42:49 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        Daniel Lang <dl@leo.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: autotuning kernel vars

On Tue, 5 Feb 2002, Daniel Lang wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> Mike Silbersack wrote on Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 10:03:14AM +0000:
> [..]
> > Hmph, apologies.  I was not aware of the comment in LINT that suggested
> > setting nmbclusters / nbuf to 0.  This comment predates the autoscaling
> > code, and is wrong.  I'll go remove it.
> Ah, well, thanks. That clarifies it.
>
> So for I don't specify any values for NMBCLUSTERS and NBUF,
> leaving maxusers at 512, and just watch how the machine
> performs.
>
> I just thought about increasing NMBCLUSTERS because somewhere
> (I don't remember) it was mentioned, that some new code
> (larger default buffers somewhere in the ip stack?) could
> make one run out of them. But I guess with maxusers=512 I'm
> already on the safe side.
>
> Thanks,
>  Daniel

To monitor mbuf and mbuf cluster usage (nmbclusters sets the number of
mbuf clusters), simply run netstat -m.  This will show you the
current and peak usage of mbufs / clusters, as well the max value that was
determined from maxusers.  From that, you'll be able to tell if your usage
is anywhere near the max, and will be able to determine whether or not to
increase the value.

With maxusers=512 you should have around 9000 mbuf clusters; this should
be more than enough unless you're running a really busy web/ftp/mail
server.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack