Date:      Fri, 11 Oct 2002 19:47:35 +0930
From:      Brian Astill <bastill@sa.apana.org.au>
To:        Jim Freeze <jim@freeze.org>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: file table is full

On Thursday 10 October 2002 19:21, Jim Freeze wrote:
> Hi:
>
> Today I got up and my security log showed the following:

> > file: table is full
>
> ...and on and on and on....
>
> > file: table is full
> > file: table is full

> Does anyone know why this would be happening?

Actually it is quite literal.  You do not have enough room on your file table
to accomodate all the files the system is trying to handle.
I solved this issue in another context by increasing my maxusers from the 10 I
had, to 20 (and recompiling of course <g>).  No problem since.
If you are using FBSD 4.5 or later you could also try maxusers=0.  This is
said to choose parameters according to your memory.

--
Regards,
Brian