Date:      Sun, 9 Feb 2003 15:23:52 -0400 (AST)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
Cc:        Colin Percival <colin.percival@wadham.ox.ac.uk>, Mark Murray <mark@grondar.org>, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bugzilla? (was Re: Okay, I think I need some serious introduction ;-)

On Sun, 9 Feb 2003, Rahul Siddharthan wrote:

> Both GNOME and KDE have switched to it recently, finding their old bug
> system (debbugs, I think) didn't scale.  In fact it seems to have very
> useful features, like handling of duplicates, dependency tracking of
> bugs, etc, which would (I presume) reduce the logjam quite a bit.  The
> couple of times I submitted Mozilla bugs, I was impressed by the rapid
> response (in one case it was a duplicate, and flagged as that within
> minutes of my sending it).

Its not so much the bug tracking system that is the problem ... we (the
PostgreSQL project) tried, at one point in time, to implement our own, web
based one, and found that altho the problems were getting addressed and
fixed, none of the developers were going in and closing the tickets
afterwards ...

With the scale of FreeBSD, in comparison, I imagine that a very very large
percentage of bugs in GNaTs are those that have long been fixed, but the
tickets never closed ... or have become useless ...

For example, take a look at the oldest Critical ticket ... its from '98
*and* deals with v3.x ... chances are the user has long since moved on to
newer hardware (deals with the Cyrix CPU) or moved away from 3.x to the
newer versions ...

What needs to be done is various 'cut off points' need to somehow be
established ... for instance, anything dealing pre-4.x should be closed

for instance, there are 64 tickets that come up as 2.x Only ... and 145
that are 3.x only ... a drop in the bucket compared to the 2676 taht are
currently in there, but, drop's add up to fill that bucket ;(