Date:      Tue, 23 Dec 1997 23:26:16 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dmitry Kohmanyuk <dk@dog.farm.org>
To:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: procedure to adjust clock drift?

In article <199712232054.NAA24318@harmony.village.org> you wrote:
> In message <199712231738.JAA01502@rah.star-gate.com> Amancio Hasty writes:
> : Does anyone have a procedure to adjust the clock drift in a PC?

> ntp?

> It is already in the tree as xntpd and friends...

of course;  the problem with PCs is that they, unlike, say, sparcs,
can gain few seconds in a day...

I usually put this into /etc/daily.local (this is for old rc style,
adjust to taste):

# /etc/daily.local

# If there is a global system configuration file, suck it in.
if [ -f /etc/sysconfig ]; then
    . /etc/sysconfig
fi

if [ "X${ntpdate}" != X"NO" ]; then
    echo 'Running ntpdate:';    ntpdate ${ntpdate} #>/dev/null 2>&1
fi

maybe this is a good idea for standard /etc/daily ??   Setting date
by ntpdate only on boot looks like useless idea to me - freebsd boxes
have trend to stay up for months... ;-)