Date:      Tue, 30 Jun 1998 10:24:01 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Stefan Zehl <sec@yoda.pi.musin.de>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Staroffice 4.0 sp3 running

> On Mon, Jun 29, 1998 at 09:10:36AM -0700, Mike Smith wrote:
> > > I just managed to install Staroffice 4.0sp3.
> > >
> > > It requires the file /proc/<pid>/cmdline to run.
> >
> > Amazingly enough, it seems that Linux doesn't actually have /proc/curproc,
> > which would have made this a lot simpler.
>
> linux has /proc/self instead of /proc/curproc - but i can't see how this
> would make it easier for us ?

Not us; it's just amazing that they actually use getpid() and then
sprintf instead of just using the "this is me" entry.

> > > I have just added (an dummy-version of) cmdline in my local copy of
> > > procfs, but I remember that there was some talk, not to 'bloat' procfs
> > > with such things.
> > The real issue is that the Linux and FreeBSD procfs' have different
> > semantics.
>
> Yup, so probably an seperate linux-procfs is probably needed.

Effectively, yes.

> > We need a separate linux-procfs as part of the linux emulator; it
> > should mount itself on /compat/linux/procfs.  If you're interested in
> > taking this on (please!), I'm sure we can arrange any support that you
> > might need.
>
> I have not much expirience in fs/kernel hacking, but i will try. I think
> i will start by taking an renamed conpy of procfs and modify it to make
> it more linux'ish. This could then be seperately loaded as an lkm. Do
> you think this is the right way to go ? If so, what would be a good name
> for it ? lprocfs ?

It should be part of the emulator itself; when you load the emulator,
it should mount, when you unload the emulator, it should unmount.

> Would it be a showstopper if i did this for 2.2-STABLE instead of
> -CURRENT ? (my only scrapbox is currently running -stable)

It would make life *very* difficult for bringing it forwards, yes.