Date:      Fri, 8 Nov 2002 18:00:59 -0600
From:      Eric Timme <timothy@voidnet.com>(by way of Eric Timme <timothy@voidnet.com>)
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   general questions about patches ports [nethack]

In an effort to get some experience with ports I've been working in my sp=
are
time on making a local entry in the tree that lets you apply a variety of
nethack enhancing, generally accepted patches (namely the hell patch, dum=
patch, new toys, and toughvlad patches) using -D appendations to the init=
ial
make command.  It builds fine with various patches enabled; however, I ha=
d to
modify the original diffs to get everything to apply it an order independ=
ent
fashion.  Part of this was necessary because I was specifying the files t=
use via PATCHFILES and some .if defined() ... .endif branches in the
Makefile, and their application order did matter.

Anyhow, I got that sorted out, and have been storing my patchfiles on a
 remote server and fetching using a PATCH_SITES define, which fetches and
 applies seamlessly.

That brings me to my questions..

First, for future reference, is there a way, besides naming patchfiles aa=
 ab
ac etc, to get PATCHFILES, or any similar defines, to apply patches in a =
user
specifid particular order?

Second, is there a way to store/bundle optional patches with a port and b=
able to include them in the build or not, at your discretion, so that you
don't have to fetch them from third party sites?

Third, is there even any interest in something like this, or does
 conservative BSD philosophy frown on game patches such as these being
 included in the ports tree, leaving it to the end user to compile from
 scratch and apply patches by hand if they wish enhancement?

--Eric