Date:      Thu, 4 Sep 1997 13:05:52 -0400
From:      Matthew Hunt <hunt@mph124.rh.psu.edu>
To:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
Cc:        yossman <yossman@yoss.canweb.net>, www@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 'x-windows'

On Thu, Sep 04, 1997 at 11:31:05AM -0500, John Fieber wrote:

> Also, out of curiosity, other than the fact that it isn't on the
> list of "appropriate names", what are the arguments against the
> name "X Windows"?

I certainly don't have any special insight, but my assumption has
always been simply that X11 is a windowing system, and not windows
themselves.  That is, X11 is the software for producing and
manipulating on-screen windows.

Likewise, newfs could be called a "filesystem creator" but not
a filesystem, and xfig is illustration software, but not an
illustration.

--
Matthew Hunt <mph@pobox.com> * Think locally, act globally.
finger hunt@mph124.rh.psu.edu for PGP public key.