Date:      Sun, 07 Jan 2001 01:45:41 GMT
From:      "J.Goodleaf" <john@goodleaf.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Getting Started

JSMolinaro writes:

> I'm just getting started with FreeBSD and Unix and I basically know close to nothing right now.  I have been reading as much as I can and there is a great abount of help provided.  I was just wondering exactly how to download FreeBSD, it seems I just coppy the file or....  I have a dial-up connection and it doesn't seem that there is going to be and easy install or .exe file to click on.
>
> I'm sorry is this is a waste of time but please help me get started.
>
> Thanks
>
> JSMolinaro

I have to concur with the other poster. You definitely want to take a look
at the handbook, and ,if you're really new to UNIX and FreeBSD, I think you
ought to take a look at getting a CD set. Perhaps you really might be
better off getting the Handbook in dead tree form + CD from cdrom.com or
one of the BSD "mall" sites. If you can't afford the package then by all
means try to download (but read the online handbook first). I am thinking
back, not so long, when I was brand new to all this. It's a lot to digest
all at once.  I was more comfortable with book and CD, though I no longer
require such...
-J