Date:      Fri, 27 Aug 1999 08:01:58 +0300
From:      Alexandre Snarskii <snar@paranoia.ru>
To:        Brian Tao <taob@risc.org>, FREEBSD-SECURITY <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Buffer overflow in vixie cron?

On Thu, Aug 26, 1999 at 11:58:38PM -0400, Brian Tao wrote:
>     RedHat published a security advisory for the version of vixie-cron
> included in RH 4.2, 5.2 and 6.0 today.  Is our version also
> vulnerable?  I haven't seen the diffs yet, but it is in the
> cron_popen() call in /usr/src/usr.sbin/cron/cron/popen.c .

That bug is not from cron_popen(), but from the paramerers
to that call. Really, in classic vixie cron there were a
chance to prepare _any_ command string to execute.

FreeBSD is not vulnerabile since 1995 (2.0.5-alpha) ( cite from:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/usr.sbin/cron/cron/do_command.c )
   1.4 Fri Apr 14 21:54:18 1995 UTC by ache
   CVS Tags: RELENG_2_0_5_ALPHA
   Diffs to 1.3
Fix MAILTO hole by passing -t to sendmail
Submitted by: Mike Pritchard <pritc003@maroon.tc.umn.edu>

   1.3 Thu Apr 13 20:58:13 1995 UTC by ache
   Diffs to 1.2
Really fix MAILTO hole by parsing spaces.
Remove local bitstring copy

   1.2 Wed Apr 12 18:57:37 1995 UTC by ache
   Diffs to 1.1
Close MAILTO security hole

</cite>

--