Date:      Wed, 02 Mar 2016 14:54:53 -0800
From:      "Chris H" <bsd-lists@bsdforge.com>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Why must X open TCP by default?

On Wed, 2 Mar 2016 15:59:57 -0500 Brandon Allbery <allbery.b@gmail.com> wrote

> On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 3:56 PM, Chris H <bsd-lists@bsdforge.com> wrote:
>
> > Good catch, by both you, and Brandon. I just tried it. But
> > sockstat(1) still reports 6000 being open. Closing the X
> > server, and session, reveal that 6000 is no longer open.
> > Bummer.
> >

> Check 'man 7 Xserver' to verify the option needed. You might also have to
> check the xserverrc file (I don't recall where it is offhand and can't
> really check right now, but startx is a shell script and the default
> xserverrc will be set near the top) to see if it is overriding the option.
> In that case you could copy the xserverrc to ~/.xserverrc (make sure it's
> chmod +x) and edit that copy to force nolisten tcp, or for multiple users
> you'd edit the master xserverrc but may need to remember to re-edit after
> system updates.

Thanks for the pointers Brandon. I had already consulted them,
but (as with your clarification) I glossed over it all a bit
too quickly. I saw the difference as:  -nolisten && --nolisten
rather than as intended: -- -nolisten
Once I discovered that, the command worked as intended.
OTOH I was unable to discover a way to make the -nolisten
option GLOBAL. eg; Xorg will *never* listen on a tcp port.
While I could have edited /usr/local/etx/X11/xinit/xinitrc
I didn't want to alter it, lest upgrading refuse to update
it with the newer version. So I simply created an ~/startx
file containing:

#!/bin/sh -
/usr/local/bin/startx -- -nolisten tcp

exit

which seems to get the job done, and allow me to be lazy
at the CLI. :-)

Thanks again, to both you, and Freddie for taking the time
to respond with such useful info!

--Chris