Date:      Mon, 17 Sep 2012 07:07:14 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Andreas Nilsson <andrnils@gmail.com>
Cc:        Mike Manilone <crtmike@gmx.us>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: how to update ports while using pkgng?

--------------enig6D91C68DBA24C20B6DBDF426

On 16/09/2012 22:24, Andreas Nilsson wrote:
> Since no one asked: Why would you want to do it this way? If you are us=
ing
> pkgng updating is as easy as: pkg upgrade.

Actually, we (the pkgng developers) think this is a perfectly valid use
case, and we'd like to have it as a standard choice available to users.

> If you have some programs installed not available from official pkgng
> repositories you are on "thin ice" and should consider using something =
like
> ports-mgmt/poudriere to build pkgng packages of those ports and host yo=
ur
> own repo from which you can then install them.

While poudriere is an excellent piece of software, using it does involve
some significant overheads.  It is also tied to using ZFS as the
underlying filesystem, which may not suit everyone.

If you've got a whole bunch of machines to maintain, then poudriere is a
no-brainer.  If you've only got your own desktop, then it's not so clear
cut.  portmaster+pkgng patches works well for me in that scenario.

Also, the "official" pkgng repositories aren't really in action yet:
pkg.freebsd.org is a SRV record that at the moment resolves to the same
beta-test repository that's been used for the last year or more.  It has
nothing like complete coverage of the ports tree.  Plans are afoot to
start using the package build clusters to generate a comprehensive set
of pkgng packages and keep them regularly updated, but these will be
introduced only after a great deal of testing and debugging, and
initially will probably be just for 10-CURRENT.

So, in the mean time, building your own packages is a good idea.  We
want to make it so that you can mix locally compiled (and customized)
pkgs with the standard ones from the official repos, and work is
currently under way to put in place a large chunk of the functionality
necessary for that.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20