Date:      Sat, 24 Dec 2016 10:05:44 -0800
From:      Johannes Lundberg <johalun0@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Cc:        mark@tranquillussoftware.co.uk
Subject:   Re: Wayland update

Hi Mark

Thanks for testing!

Yes, I forgot to mention. Somehow all XKB_* are set to "no".
My .cshrc looks something like this

if ( ! $?XDG_RUNTIME_DIR ) then
    setenv XDG_RUNTIME_DIR /tmp/${uid}-runtime-dir
    if ( ! -d "$XDG_RUNTIME_DIR" ) then
        mkdir "$XDG_RUNTIME_DIR"
        chmod 0700 "$XDG_RUNTIME_DIR"
    endif
endif

# Required: XKB For Sway
setenv XKB_DEFAULT_RULES   evdev
setenv XKB_DEFAULT_LAYOUT  us

# Optional: Lots of debug output
setenv MESA_DEBUG 1
setenv LIBGL_DEBUG verbose
setenv EGL_LOG_LEVEL debug
setenv WAYLAND_DEBUG 1

I don't know the state on Linux for vt switching, if it works properly.
The vt/tty patches for FreeBSD do need more work. It's a new area for me
and I barely got it running so a bit unstable at the moment. Would be great
if anyone who knows their ways around the FreeBSD vt/tty can take a look.
This is true for both wlc (which Sway uses) and Weston. Their vt/tty code
is rather similar.

Do you know what driver you are using for the touchpad? It might be that
the driver is not updated for evdev support yet or it might be as easy as
adjusting the 'kern.evdev.rcpt_mask' sysctl, as explained here in evdev.h.

/*
 * Keyboard and mouse events recipient mask.
 * evdev_rcpt_mask variable should be respected by keyboard and mouse
drivers
 * that are able to send events through both evdev and sysmouse/kbdmux
 * interfaces so user can choose prefered one to not receive one event
twice.
 */
#define EVDEV_RCPT_SYSMOUSE (1<<0)
#define EVDEV_RCPT_KBDMUX (1<<1)
#define EVDEV_RCPT_HW_MOUSE (1<<2)
#define EVDEV_RCPT_HW_KBD (1<<3)
extern int evdev_rcpt_mask;

I also noticed that Xwayland did not work in weston-terminal in Sway
without setting the DISPLAY variable. Weston seem to do this automatically.
So to run any X app in Sway do,

$ ls -l /tmp/.X11-unit/

to see which is the current (newest) DISPLAY number and set DISPLAY
environment variable to reflect that.

Thanks again for the feedback and keep it coming :)

This is awesome, it's great to see some progress on the Wayland front.