Date:      Fri, 14 Mar 1997 10:12:33 -0600
From:      Karl Denninger  <karl@Mcs.Net>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        Karl Denninger <karl@Mcs.Net>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Yikes!  Current / Lite2 kernel has MAJOR NFS client problems

On Mon, Mar 10, 1997 at 03:33:53PM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > Be EXTREMELY careful if you try to run a LITE2 kernel in an NFS environment.
> >
> > As it sits right now, you'll get tons of panics out of "page not present"
> > faults in the event any executable is grabbed over NFS.
> >
> > I'll start looking at this if someone has an idea where it would be coming
> > from.  Is this a "dirty page" problem in that the page isn't being fetched
> > when it should be?
>
> Look at the NFS differences for the pre-merge code vs. the Lite code
> that should be the first rev in the tree.  Basically, the cache
> unification process has changes the FS/buffer interface, and you
> need to propagate some stuff down to the FS that NFS is a client
> of for it to be truly happy.  The diff should pinpoint it for you.
>

> 					Terry Lambert
> 					terry@lambert.org

I'll have to take a look at it -- basically, you get a "page not present"
panic within minutes (literally) using the LITE2-merged stuff if you mount a
directory and run executables off that mount point.

Until this is fixed DO NOT mount executable directories from a remote NFS
server.  This is a serious problem and will lead to resets within 2-10
minutes!

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
http://www.mcs.net/~karl     | T1's from $600 monthly to FULL DS-3 Service
			     | 99 Analog numbers, 77 ISDN, Web servers $75/mo
Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1 x219]| Email to "info@mcs.net" WWW: http://www.mcs.net/
Fax:   [+1 312 803-4929]     | 2 FULL DS-3 Internet links; 400Mbps B/W Internal