Date:      Sun, 21 Jul 2002 22:45:40 +0200
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@accms33.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   X11, Nvidia, Geforce 2 Go, Dell Inspiron 8000

I did another try to get XFree86-4 in 1600x1200 working on
my Dell Inspiron 8000 with Geforce 2 Go Nvidia.

I chose to use the XFree-4 nv driver patch and not the
Linux driver from the Nvidia site. Maybe I will do it as a
next step after I have discussed the following points:

1. I did a make patch,
   untared nv.tar.gz in /usr/ports/x11-servers/XFree-4-server/work
   and built / installed the thing. With a sample XF86Config
   I was amazed to see the 1600x1200 screen with twm windows
   populated when doing a startx first time.

2. I could not get my touchpad or attached PS/2 mouse
   working. What is the trick?

During compilation I saw that CFLAGS contained -DUSE_GLX_MESA
which made me doubt whether this is the most effective choice.

The native NVIDIA driver consist of a GLX part and a kernel
part (the latter being Linux native unfortunately).

So it seems to me going the Nvidia road is  the more promising
one as far as performance (GeForce) is concerned.

Opinions, experiences?

How mature is the FreeBSD Nvidia driver initiative now?

--
Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies kukulies@rwth-aachen.de