Date:      Thu, 03 Jun 1999 23:36:00 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        dyson@iquest.net, dillon@apollo.backplane.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.2-stable, panic #12

>> IMO, revokation of commit privs has given enough time to support
>> the learning curve and enforce a review process.
>
>I've been following this conversation with growing concern.  It seems
>to me there is a fairly simple solution to this problem: create a
>branch for the ongoing VM work, enable commit privs on the branch for
>Matt and anyone else who's going to join in the fun, and then at times
>when they think it is appropriate and things have been adequately
>reviewed, we have a little merge-mania and things are better than ever.
>
>Are there any technological boundaries that prevent us from doing this?
>This is how we do it in the paid-for-code world.  ;^)

   It sounds good at first, but sounds less so when you actually have to merge
the branches - this can be very difficult to do when lots of time has gone
by, especially when various (software) interface/infrustructure changes have
been made to both branches. They only way it would work would be if the time
differential were kept very short (perhaps one month or less).

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Creator of high-performance Internet servers - http://www.terasolutions.com