Date:      Sun, 25 May 1997 15:35:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@freebsd.org (Satoshi Asami)
To:        jdp@polstra.com
Cc:        obrien@NUXI.com, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bsd.port.mk

 * Upgrade to CVSup 15.0, and read about the "-i" flag.  You can now
 * specify glob-style patterns to fine-tune what you receive.  For
 * your particular case, you could use the "cvs-all" collection, and
 * specify "-i ports -i src/share/mk" on the command line.  (Or, use
 * the ports-all and src-share collections, with the same "-i"
 * options.  It doesn't matter much.  If you're already using
 * "ports-all", you should probably stick with it, since otherwise
 * you'll be starting from scratch with your "checkouts.cvs" files.)

That's great.  Do you mind adding that to the ports web page? :)

 * You _could_ specify "-i src/share/mk/bsd.port.mk,v", but I wouldn't
 * recommend it.  The files in src/share/mk tend to go together.  It's
 * not a good idea to mix & match different versions of them.

I'm not sure if I agree with this though.  bsd.port.mk goes with
bsd.port.subdir.mk (and of course the "ports" tree) but the rest of
*.mk's go with the rest of src.  If you install a -current bsd.info.mk
on an old 2.2 system for instance, all the install-info targets are
going to barf at you.

Satoshi