Date:      Thu, 1 May 1997 17:11:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
Cc:        Walter Haslbeck <WH@ODS.de>, smp@FreeBSD.org, everybodyunix@wup.de, jk@ct.heise.de
Subject:   Re: Dual PPro Mainboard f. SCO SMP

On Thu, 1 May 1997, Andreas Klemm wrote:

> [Posted and mailed]
>
> In article <6VndaKB5SfB@surfer.ods.de>,
> 	WH@ODS.de (Walter Haslbeck) writes:
> [snip]
> > BTW: Wie siehts eigentlich z.Z. an der FreeUnix Front aus in Sachen SMP?
> > Gibts irgendwo im Web Benchmarkergebnisse, die SCO SMP mit Linux/SMP
> > bzw. FreeBSD/SMP vergleichen?
>
> I'm writing this in english, so I can write this also to the
> FreeBSD SMP mailinglist. I suppose the people there are interested
> in numbers and figures as well ;-)
>
> I'll put together some nice gif files later, that are suitable to
> be put onto a Web Server.
>
> I made something like an application level benchmark by compiling
> my FreeBSD custom kernel with different kernels and job parameters
> for make (-j). You can see this kind of tests already in PC magazines
> like C't, where they bench the compile time for a Linux kernel.
>
> For reference:
> Tyan Titan Pro ATX, 64 MB RAM, 2 x 200 MHz Pro
[some deletions of data]

Andreas, I think you really ought to double check this.  When I did my
own checks on my SMP setup, I found that just running make -j 8 (without
going smp) gave a serious speedup.  There WAS additional speedup when I
turned on smp, but it's NOT 2 for 1.  To do the benchmark correctly, you
have to run the same program in both places, and turning on the -j 8
feature for smp only is fooling you.

> 2) Using the SMP kernel with 2 CPU's and make -j 4 and -j 8 is
>    really fast
>
> 	The performance boost you get now with FreeBSD SMP
> 	_for_this_kind_of_application is factor 1.9 !!!
>
> To sum up: you nearly double the performance of your system !!!
>
> I think important here is, that every PPro CPU has it's own 2nd
> level cache.
>
> 	Andreas ///
>
> --
> powered by