Date:      Wed, 11 Dec 2002 22:08:55 -0800
From:      Robert Clark <res03db2@verizon.net>
To:        Haikal Saadh <haikal@freeshell.org>
Cc:        Andy Hung <ca_hung@hotmail.com>, "Cameron Green (wildmail)" <camerongreen@wildmail.com>, Cuong <theuncontactable@hotmail.com>, dave <replenish@hotmail.com>, Jeremy Mawson <jem@loftinspace.com.au>, Nik Saers <niklas@saers.com>, Nishchal Kush <n.kush@student.qut.edu.au>, admiral_paul@hotmail.com, patsimon12@yahoo.com, Wes Clarke <fleshkeep@powerup.com.au>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A FreeBSD User Reviews Mandrake. Let the flames flow.

On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 09:02:13PM +1000, Haikal Saadh wrote:

> I gave it a chance. Honest. But it still wasn't good enough.
>
> A bit of background. My laptop's been dormant for a while,
> underpowered, overworked dog that it is, but I need a laptop as will
> be on the go soon, and will need a computer of my own for internet
> access, and to store my photos until I get back to Home Base.
>
> I want a flavour of unix simply because, well, to bullet it out,
> O I hate windows 9x/ME, and my laptop's really too underpowered for
> 2k or xp.
> O I want to impress chicks (okay, fine, let's be realistic
> here...show my l33tness to my other friends, and impress (or upset)
> potential employers by nmap'ing their networks and setting their
> laserjets to use letter and triplicate instead if a4 because they
> were too slack to set a default password)

<SNIP>

I'm not sure what the hardware specs of the system were, but
one of the secuity folks that visited us had VMWARE running
on his laptop, and a number of OS images running under that.

There were several USB attached network cards, and each
OS instance was able to talk to at least one. This allowed
him to run tests from several sides of a firewall at the
same time.

Obviously this rig wouldn't be able to stress test gear
over USB, but that would require a different setup.

At the moment, I think this setup would require Linux
be the base OS. (If the choices were limited to Linux and
FreeBSD.)

[RC]