Date:      Tue, 30 Dec 1997 18:23:22 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        FreeBSD-SCSI@freebsd.org
Subject:   odd 875 problem

I'm scratching my head on this one ....

Here's the scenario ... Tyan Tomcat I, Pentium/166 with 32M, Asus 875
controller.  Installed FreeBSD on the 2 each 2G Fujitsum drives on the
wide connector, no problem. Needed Win95 for a project, so took a borrowed
narrow 2 G drive, address 0 on the narrow connector, and put Win95 on it.
Again, no problem yet. At the end of the install, I booted Win95 via
floppy, and used the driver disks that came with the Asus 875 controller
to put the right drivers into Win 95.  At the end of the 875 disk setup
procedure, I used the offered option to reboot the system.  That was the
last it worked.

During the 875 boot, at the end of the SCAM protocol, the 875 BIOS always
printed a banner that gave the drive info, but it flashed up on screen for
less than a second, so I could never read it.  Note that printing this
banner is the last thing the system did before accessing the disks or
floppies for boot.  Well, I can read it now, because the controller hangs
at this point with the red LED on the card burning solid.  I have on this
thing 2 drives on the wide connector, and a cdrom and a drive on the
narrow connector, and none of the drive access lights come on.  I have
tried all different combinations of drives (just the wide connector, just
the narrow one, just the wide with one drive only, etc, etc) and the
failure mode doesn't change.  The only way the 875 gets past the SCAM
protocol still living is if there is no connector (wide or narrow)
installed at all.  Doesn't even get to the floppy.

BTW, that banner that the 875 hangs just after printing?  It's been
completely correct, no matter how I change the drives.

What makes this more confusing is, I have a 825 here, and it works ok on
that machine.  I've tried swapping the 875 for a different one, the
trouble stays the same.  I've tried zeroing out the cmos memory, no
change.  I've tried all different combinations of use for the two PCI
slots (one video, one the 875) no change.  The Tyan MB's onboard IDEs are
disabled.

Anyone got any silly suggestions as to what I could try next?

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |