Date:      Thu, 4 Oct 2012 15:55:22 +1000
From:      andrew clarke <mail@ozzmosis.com>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        mexas@bristol.ac.uk, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: suggest pdf viewer for pdf version 1.6 with annotations

On Wed 2012-10-03 11:26:38 UTC+0200, Polytropon (freebsd@edvax.de) wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Oct 2012 08:50:16 +0100 (BST), Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
>
> > I got sent a pdf file, version 1.6, with annotations.
> > xpdf can view the file, but not the annotations.
> > Please suggest a pdf viewer from ports that might help.
>
> I haven't checked, but the "Adobe Reader" (port: acroread,
> e. g. acroread9) should be able to do this, as PDF 1.6
> support is in that product since version 7 (Jan. 2005).
>
> I'm not sure if it would be "less bloaty" to use a PDF
> viewer coming with one of the big desktop environments
> KDE or Gnome: Evince, KPDF or Okular... I'm not using
> any of these, so I can't make better recommendations.
> Whenever I approach the border of what xpdf and gv can
> do, I use "acroread <filename>". :-)

I'm curious if anyone's tried running the Linux version of FoxItReader
under FreeBSD's Linux emulation. There's a good chance it supports
showing annotations.

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/desklinux/download.php

Also I suspect Chromium (www/chromium) has an internal PDF viewer like
the Windows & Linux versions do. It may also show annotations.

A cursory web search for a PDF with annotations came up empty,
otherwise I'd test both natively in Ubuntu.