Date:      Wed, 28 Jun 1995 11:56:15 -0400
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        jkh@freebsd.org (Jordan K. Hubbard), FreeBSD-current@freebsd.org (FreeBSD current)
Subject:   Re: Paul Richards: sysconfig routed setting

<<On Tue, 27 Jun 1995 22:52:17 -0700 (PDT), "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com> said:

> ``Should'' and ``probably'' are not very convincing words,

Let me word this more strongly:

	A machine which is not directly involved in forwarding packets
	has no business running a routing process, PERIOD.  Routing
	processes run on routers and routers only.

> If RIP
> packets are on the wires you should damn well be sure you listen to
> them in one way or another.

Bull****.  If RIP packets are on the wires, then it's the business of
the routers which are exchanging them.  If RIP packets are not on the
wires, then it's the business of the routers which are exchanging some
other routing protocol.  If you are not a router, you have no business
listening to them.  HOSTS DO NOT NEED ROUTING INFORMATION.

> Give those 4 conditions the best default there is to ship the system
> with (since you can't do the default route or gated configuration) is
> to have routed -q started by default.

Actually, no, the best default is to ship the system with no routes at
all, and force users if the indicate they are connected to the net to
designate a default router.  If they don't know the number to specify,
then there should be somebody else in their shop who does.  (If their
shop is at all sensible, it will be numbered net.sub.net.1.)  We
actually have (broken) code in the source tree which could be used to
listen for router advertisements and suggest a default to the user,
but not all routers advertise.

> IMHO, and evidently CSRG's as well, routed -q should be the default
> it covers the widest cases.

Which is just another example of a piece of Internet technology that
CSRG got completely wrong and we are just now recovering from.

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.