Date:      Tue, 07 Jan 1997 11:24:29 -0500
From:      Troy Settle <pitlord@usit.net>
To:        Riccardo Veraldi <veraldi@CS.UniBO.IT>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: new bash of mine

Riccardo Veraldi wrote:

> I have modifyed a GNU Bourne Again Shell
> version 1.14.7
> this shell now intercepts every command line of the user
> and writes it in a database file together with the name of the user
> and the time when the user did the certain command line using the shell.
> The shell also does not allow to the user to delete or look inside
> the database unless the user is root.
> IF a user try to look in the database or to corrupt it the shell send
> a mail to root about the user behaviour.
> I have also modifyed the makefile to be suitable for the freeBSD UN*X
> environment.

...big brother is watching...

bash$ exec tcsh  # Let me free!!!
% cat /dev/null > /path/to/file/containing/user/activities

...screw big brother...

Actually, I think it's an interesting idea... and could be silently
used to catch unaware crackers.  for the most part though, I think
you'd end up with a file full of junk that would be a serious pain
to sort through.

This type of thing could be useful for internal attacks, but hopefully,
we're all carefull about who we give shell access to.

--
.signature files suck a big one
http://www.public.usit.net/pitlord