Date:      Sat, 25 Sep 2010 14:48:56 +1000
From:      Dean Hamstead <dean@fragfest.com.au>
To:        Josh Paetzel <josh@tcbug.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: growfs on a large disk

> I've run growfs on raw partitions, it's the easiest way to use growfs, as you
> don't need to worrk about expanding partitions or slices.

:)

> Not sure if you are running into a growfs limitation, you're certainly running
> into the limits of UFS with those sizes.  Have you considered ZFS?

Ive used ZFS in the past, but without going off topic, i have found it
wanting. And at this stage, i dont have a large number of disks (or
tape) to shift the data off and reformat.

> At this point you can't put a bsdlabel on, as your filesystem probably
> encroaches on the area the label would need anyways.  Similarly the fdisk
> output is fairly meaningless, as you aren't using a fdisk partition.  To
> verify ls /dev/da0* should only show /dev/da0, if it shows slices that would
> be bad.
>
> The man page for growfs mentions that some free space is needed in the first
> cylinder group to resize.  Perhaps that is the problem you are running in to.

Could well be. The man page didnt provide me with the insights i needed,
hence consulting this list.

The error message that growfs gives isnt as helpful as it could be so im
about to dive through the source and see what causes this message to appear.

Is there a way to free space in that cylinder group?

Dean