Date:      Sun, 16 Jun 2002 16:44:37 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   foo_if.m -> standard in files?

I'd love to make foo_if.m files in the tree standard, to the extent
that it is possible.  I've been running with this in my tree for
months and months.  So far only the sound files pose any kind of
problem at all, and even that might have been fixed in the last 9
months that I've been doing this.

I've just included the interface glue, but nothing else, so the cost
is relatively small.  This makes loadable drivers much easier.  For
example, if you wanted to kldload if_ep.ko, but didn't have any pccard
in your tree it would fail due to the 'card' interface not being
available.  Making if_ep.ko (and all drivers that have pccard
attachments) dependent on pccard isn't quite the right thing to do,
since you don't want to load that driver also load pccard code that
isn't used at all in the system just to satisfy the interface
requirements.

The cost: About 1.5k bytes.  This seems quite insignificant to the
convenience that it buys.

Comments?

Warner