Date:      Sat, 13 May 2006 16:53:02 +0100
From:      John.Dickinson@nominet.org.uk
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help: Unable to change to SU through SSH

Nils Vogels wrote on 13/05/2006 09:43:24:

> Maan Jee wrote on 13-05-2006 10:31:
> > Hi
> >
> > I have created a user "admin" and using that to login through SSH from
> > remote machine. But I CANNOT "su", change to the root login? How can I
do
> > that?
> Add the user "admin" to the "wheel" group in /etc/groups.

I would recommend that you dont create an admin user. Create normal user
accounts named after the user who will be logging in. Add users who will
need to be able to do admin tasks to the wheel group. Then install sudo
and configure it to allow users in the wheel group to run commands as
root.

sudo has many advantages over using su.
1. It logs every action so you can find out what you and other admin users
did. This gives an audit trail and is very useful when you forget how you
did something.
2. It puts a time limit on how long a user can run root tasks without
re-entering their password. This prevents a user from forgetting they are
root and leaving an unattended root console when they go to get a coffee.
3. You can, if necessary, control which commands a user can run as root.

Hope this helps
John