Date:      Wed, 8 Apr 1998 01:33:39 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Stefan Bethke <stb@transit.hanse.de>
To:        Chris Radek <cradek@in221.inetnebr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Accton EtherPocket device driver porting help

On Tue, 7 Apr 1998, Chris Radek wrote:

> I am wanting to port the Linux driver for the Accton EtherPocket
> parallel port ethernet device to FreeBSD.  I am having trouble finding a
> starting point - the FreeBSD Device Driver Writer's Guide looks great
> for character devices, but is unhelpful (empty!) for network devices.

[ snip ]

> If not, where does a person begin when porting a network driver?  I am
> not allergic to digging through existing code, but a summary of the
> necessary parts would be very helpful.  Perhaps something like Linux's
> skeleton.c?

For "standard" ISA or PCI devices, take a look at one of the existing
drivers; many of them are quite simple in their structure.

In your case, however, you'd might be better off by looking at lp(4), the
IP-over-parallel (aka PLIP) driver, in sys/isa/lpt.c, which basically
does what you want, but with a different low-level interface. If you have
enougth info on how to communicate with the adapter, this is probably the
way to go (note, however, that having the Linux source might not
necessarily be considered "enought info", depending on how much you'd be
willing to do trial-and-error).

You might also consider adding a line discipline a la PPP or SLIP to be
loaded on top of the standard lpt driver, if that would be more suitable
for the way to communicate to the adapter.

Stefan

--
Stefan Bethke
Muehlendamm 12            Phone: +49-40-256848, +49-177-3504009