Date:      Tue, 16 Apr 1996 09:26:25 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Cc:        markb@chartway.com (Mark Bernard)
Subject:   Re: Configuration

As Mark Bernard wrote:

(Should have gone to -questions.)

> 1)  It used to be on my 2.0 when I did a who to see who was logged on you
> would see the IP..it now shows the host.  What can I do to make it show
> the IP again?

Break your DNS lookups. :-)

> 2)  What are the metacharacters that I can use to vary my prompt in my csh?
> Its set up with the history variable and I want it to show the directory.

For plain csh, there's nothing but the history number (!).  You have
to alias cd (and pushd/popd FWIW) by something else that finally uses
the builtin `chdir', and modifies the prompt after changing the
directory.

Modern shells like bash or tcsh offer you greater featuri^H^H^H^H^H^H^H
flexibility here.

--
cheers, J"org