Date:      Sun, 1 Oct 2000 02:40:52 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), bartequi@inwind.it (Salvo Bartolotta), cjclark@alum.mit.edu, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The origins of FreeBSD (was: Unix 2000...)

> On Sunday,  1 October 2000 at  2:03:47 +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:
> >> Four years... hmmm, correct me if I am wrong or partial: in four
> >> years, the FreeBSD Project not only developed a whole operating
> >> system, but also achieved technical excellence.
> >
> > FreeBSD started from 386BSD ~ June of 1994.
>
> No, you're out by a year.  Mid-1993.

I was approached to be on the core team in May of 1994, which
I declined because of the upcoming USL purchase by my then
employer Novel UNIX Systems Group, which could have put FreeBSD
on shaky legal ground with regards to intellectual property,
were I a core team member.  I didn't leave Novell for Artisoft,
until I had rallied the troops to first get FreeBSD and NetBSD
the same grace period that BSDI got (rather than a "cease and
desist" order), and later, to get the lawsuit dropped entirely.
I left for Artisoft on October 20th, 1994.

If you want to pick nits, you could go to the archive on Minnie,
and check out the Usenet article in which Lynne lambasted the
patchkit, and the later one in which Bill withdrew permission
for the 0.5 interim release.  That was _truly_ the birthday of
FreeBSD.

If you want to count the work  on 386BSD that was rolled in and
later became FreeBSD, then Mid 1993 was about when the 0.5
386BSD interim release by the patch kit maintainers was OK'ed by
Bill Jolitz. If you want to count the origins of the patchkit,
I did the first patch to the VM system in about February, and
published it in the first "386BSD unofficial FAQ", which led to
my creation of the patchkit, as the patches got too big and too
interrelated to publish in the FAQ.

If you want to go back to the origins of 386BSD, that was about
the end of the first quarter in 1992, though it wasn't published
widely until later.

If you want to trace the lineage further, I think you could
trace it back to Bell Labs in 1974 or so.  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.