Date:      Wed, 3 Jul 1996 15:25:09 -0500 (CDT)
From:      mikebo@tellabs.com
To:        bugs@freebsd.org
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, mikebo (Mike Borowiec)
Subject:   2.1-960627-SNAP: YP problem

Previously, I wrote:
> I believe a bug has been introduced into the 2.1-960627-SNAP YP code.
> Previously, I had been able to use NIS netgroups in the password file:
> +@mygroup:::::::::

As it turns out, netgroups have nothing to do with this problem. It is
a problem with any YP password entries from my Sun server... I've added
+::::::::: when editing the password file (with vipw), but NONE of the
users in the NIS password map can login.

> The FreeBSD client is bound to a SunOS 4.1.x server. When I attempt to
> login, FreeBSD attempts :
> NIS:  ----- Network Information Service -----
> NIS:  Proc = 4 (Return first key-value pair in map)
> NIS:  Domain = mydomain
> NIS:  Map = master.passwd.byname
>
> Of course, my Sun NIS domain has no such map "master.passwd.byname",
> and that's the end of that. The FreeBSD client goes on to try and get
> the passwd.byname entry for my login, which succeeds. Nevertheless,
> the login is refused. Here is a high-level packet trace:
>
>   1   0.00000       toybox -> sunc         NIS C FIRST
>   2   0.01581         sunc -> toybox       NIS R FIRST No such map
>   3   0.00321       toybox -> sunc         NIS C MATCH mikebo in passwd.byname
>   4   0.01115         sunc -> toybox       NIS R MATCH OK
>
> If I take the SunOS map entry from my account, and massage it to fit
> the format of the FreeBSD vipw, I am able to login just fine. This means
> that the password encryption and comparison is working. (Yes, DES is
> installed and working).

Let me rephrase my closing comments. I really need NIS password file
support to work. Is anyone else seeing this problem? Is there anything
I should check out that might be incorrectly configured? Is anyone else
successfully using NIS password entries when bound to a SunOS server?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
- Mike
Michael Borowiec   -   mikebo@tellabs.com   -   Tellabs Operations Inc.
Senior Member of Technical Staff                4951 Indiana Avenue, MS 63
708-512-8211  FAX: 708-512-7099                 Lisle, IL  60532  USA