Date:      Mon, 2 Sep 2002 10:19:03 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Lamont Granquist <lamont@scriptkiddie.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gcc 3.1 / streambuf.h broken with "using namespace std;"

On Mon, Sep 02, 2002 at 02:17:25AM -0700, Lamont Granquist wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Sep 2002, David O'Brien wrote:
> > On Sun, Sep 01, 2002 at 12:37:14PM -0700, Lamont Granquist wrote:
> > > It sounds like gcc-3.1 or gcc-3.2 will be archaic and buggy
> > > by the time that 5.2 and 5.3 come out.
> >
> > How would gcc-3.2 get more buggy over time than it is today??
>
> I said it was buggy.  Do you mean to imply that gcc-3.2 doesn't have a
> single bug in it?

Labling software as "buggy" is a major put down.  If GCC 3.2 is "buggy"
because it has at least one bug; then FreeBSD 4.7 will also be buggy as
hell.

> Admittedly I should have said "unmaintained" though -- point being that
> the bugs in it wouldn't be getting fixed by gcc developers who would
> rather fix them in 3.3...

We don't maintain 3.x either -- much to the disappointment of some that
based products or major deployments on it.  But I do think we support the
current release branch much better than the GCC people do.  We have a
much more liberal MFC policy which lets us continue to fix invasive bugs
and add new features.