Date:      Mon, 22 Jun 1998 18:00:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Snob Art Genre <benedict@echonyc.com>
To:        Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@ispro.net.tr>
Cc:        ben@rosengart.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: - pop3 - URGENT

On Tue, 23 Jun 1998, Evren Yurtesen wrote:

> sorry I did not see the freebsd-isp list on lists list...
> I guess I missed it...
> also I asked it at questions list and nobody could answer...
> I do not want to have a huge /var/mail directory full of
> symlinks... I wanted to change the source code of pop3
> there it was writing /var/mail I changed it with $HOME/mail
> but the c compiler thinks $HOME something else...
> how may I make the compiler to ignore $ sign at front of HOME?

You're trying to use a shell variable in a C program.  Read the man page
for getpwent(3) to see how to get a user's home directory from the
passwd file.  Or, if you're hell-bent on using the environment variable,
look at getenv(3).  I suspect that the former approach is the
recommended one, though.

 Ben

"You have your mind on computers, it seems."