Date:      Thu, 11 May 2006 18:56:18 +0200
From:      Christian Brueffer <brueffer@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Nagy =?iso-8859-1?B?TOFzemzz?= Zsolt <nagylzs@freemail.hu>
Cc:        Sam Clements <sclements@gmail.com>, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SATA Raid motherboard

--wq9mPyueHGvFACwf

On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 05:23:06PM +0200, Nagy L=E1szl=F3 Zsolt wrote:
> Sam Clements =EDrta:
> >http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=3Dataraid&sektion=3D4&apropos=
=3D0&manpath=3DFreeBSD+6.0-RELEASE+and+Ports=20

> >Says:
> >    The ataraid driver can read the following metadata formats:
> >
> >    =B7     Adaptec HostRAID
> >    =B7     Highpoint V2 RocketRAID
> >    =B7     Highpoint V3 RocketRAID
> >    =B7     Intel MatrixRAID
> >
> >I do believe only RAID 0 or 1 is supported in a two disk
> >configuration. Also, note that ataraid cannot yet write this metadata
> >format so you'll have to use the BIOS to create & rebuild your
> >RAID's...
> Thank you. Of course I can use the BIOS to create the mirrored set. But=
=20
> after that, can I install FreeBSD with the standard installer?  I'm not=
=20
> sure if 'ataraid' is included in GENERIC. Will the installer notice the=
=20
> RAID-1 array as a new physical drive? Unfortunately, I do not have the=20
> hardware yet, so I cannot try this. A real SCSI RAID controller would be=
=20
> too expensive for me. If I cannot install the whole system on the=20
> mirrored set, then probably it is better to use gvinum, because it=20
> allows me to buy a cheaper motherboard and use different hard drives.=20
> However, gvinum also has disadvantages (cannot mirror the root fs, or it=
=20
> is too difficult and I'm not familiar with vinum...)
>=20

Yes, ataraid(4) is in GENERIC and installing on it should Just Work (tm).

- Christian

--=20
Christian Brueffer	chris@unixpages.org	brueffer@FreeBSD.org
GPG Key:	 http://people.freebsd.org/~brueffer/brueffer.key.asc
GPG Fingerprint: A5C8 2099 19FF AACA F41B  B29B 6C76 178C A0ED 982D

--wq9mPyueHGvFACwf

--wq9mPyueHGvFACwf--