Date:      Fri, 26 Mar 2004 13:16:16 +0100 (MET)
From:      Adriaan de Groot <adridg@sci.kun.nl>
To:        Tim Middleton <x@Vex.Net>
Cc:        kde-freebsd@freebsd.kde.org
Subject:   Re: [kde-freebsd] aging broken supposed-to-be-deleted py-kde

Hi Tim,

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004, Tim Middleton wrote:
> I was jus thinking of slapping together a little KDE app (just a little
> personal thingy), and thought PyKDE would be the way to go. But i see the
> port is out of date, and in fact marked BROKEN... the broken message warning
> that it will be removed Feb 2 (ie. over a month ago).

Yes. The status of the port is uncertain. I know someone in kde@ wanted to
revice the port itself. Me, I'm pushing for more pyQt inclusion in the
kdebindings package _and_ a sensible split of that package into
language-specific stuff.

> I took a quick look at the port, thinking of updating it... but it has some
> stuff in it that looks confusing to me... so i'm wondering if anyone else out
> there is using PyKDE on freebsd... and might want to take a stab at updating
> the port...

What's needed is someone who really cares about it, and is willing to make
it work. Your message underscores the chicken-and-eggness of the whole
issue: people would like to use pyKDE or some other language binding, but
find it's not available, broken, or immature, and end up going back to
C++.