Date:      Thu, 13 Dec 2012 08:52:05 +0200
From:      "Reko Turja" <reko.turja@liukuma.net>
To:        "Zaphod Beeblebrox" <zbeeble@gmail.com>, "FreeBSD Hackers" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: iSCSI vs. SMB with ZFS.

-----Original Message-----=20
From: Zaphod Beeblebrox=20
Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 6:57 PM=20
To: FreeBSD Hackers=20
Subject: iSCSI vs. SMB with ZFS.=20

> So... I have two machines.  My Fileserver is a core-2-duo machine with
> FreeBSD-9.1-ish ZFS, istgt and samba 3.6.  My workstation is windows 7
> on an i7.  Both have GigE and are connected directly via a managed
> switch with jumbo packets (specifically 9016) enabled.  Both are using
> tagged vlan packets to the switch (if that matters at all).

My experience on samba has been that it=E2=80=99s slow whatever one does =
to tweak it (probably just too linux-centric code to start with or =
whatever...) Just as another datapoint =E2=80=93 do you have tried NFS =
yet? Win7 has NFS available as OS component, although not installed by =
default?

-Reko