Date:      Wed, 06 Jun 2001 19:44:55 -0700
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MFC'ing new md(4) functionality?

Warner Losh <imp@village.org> writes:
> In message <70325.991758797@critter> Poul-Henning Kamp writes:
> : In message <20010605013148.A49246@dragon.nuxi.com>, "David O'Brien" writes:
> : >On Mon, Jun 04, 2001 at 07:46:18PM -0700, Dima Dorfman wrote:
> : >> Is there any reason not to MFC the new md(4) functionality
> : >
> : >Zero reason not to.
> :
> : Others see it differently, it would seriously break a lot of
> : people who are using -stable in embedded applications.
> :
> : If we have abandoned the "no changes to API or ABI in -stable"
> : paradigm, it would be a good idea, but it serious rains on that
> : rule...
>
> I've stated in the past that removing mfs from stable is going to
> cause me some grief.  However, the addition of md won't so long as mfs
> remains intact.

I don't think anybody is even remotely suggesting that MFS be removed,
but someone (other than you) might get bitten by a change of this
sort.  I guess it's just a matter of whether the new functionality
(and giving people a head start integrating the new behavior into
their systems) is worth burning however many people depend on the old
behavior.

					Dima Dorfman
					dima@unixfreak.org