Date:      Sat, 23 Mar 2002 08:10:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Cy Schubert - CITS Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/36231: www/apache13: relative URL targets now  invalid in Redirect*; very astonishing website breakage ensues

The following reply was made to PR ports/36231; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Cy Schubert - CITS Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To: Alan Eldridge <ports@geeksrus.net>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG, ache@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject: Re: ports/36231: www/apache13: relative URL targets now
 invalid in Redirect*; very astonishing website breakage ensues
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 07:59:35 -0800

 In message <200203231444.g2NEirb65049@wwweasel.geeksrus.net>, Alan
 Eldridge wri
 tes:

 > >Number:         36231
 > >Category:       ports
 > >Synopsis:       www/apache13: relative URL targets now invalid in Redirect*;
 >  very astonishing website breakage ensues
 > >Confidential:   no
 > >Severity:       critical
 >
 > I updated to the new apache13 port and there's an implementation
 > change that caused massive breakage to one of my local websites: the
 > target URL of a Redirect* directive can no longer be a relative URL;
 > it must be absolute.
 >
 > Suggest this update should be backed out, as it has the potential to break
 > many websites badly.
 >
 > This change is documented by comparing the htdocs/manual/mod/mod_alias.html
 > files between 1.3.23 and 1.3.24.
 >
 > Here's the new restriction:
 >
 > Note: Redirect directives take precedence over Alias and ScriptAlias
 > directives, irrespective of their ordering in the configuration
 > file. Also, URL-path must be an absolute path, not a relative path,
 > even when used with .htaccess files or inside of <Directory> sections.
 >
 > >How-To-Repeat:
 >
 > [alane ~/public_html/gronk]$ cat willie_nile/.htaccess
 > <Files index.html>
 >  RedirectMatch .* golden_down.html
 > </Files>
 > [alane ~/public_html/gronk]$
 >
 > This redirection no longer works as of the upgrade. It must be rewritten as:
 >
 > <Files index.html>
 >  RedirectMatch (.*)/.* $1/golden_down.html
 > </Files>
 >
 > or else this error occurs:
 >
 > [Sat Mar 23 08:57:25 2002] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] cannot redirect '/~alan
 > e/gronk/willie_nile/index.html' to 'golden_down.html'; target is not a valid
 > absoluteURI or abs_path
 >
 > >Fix:
 >
 > Preferred:
 >
 > Back out this update.
 >
 > Alternate:
 >
 > Add documentation of this change (pkg-message) and a knob to the Makefile
 > that *must* be supplied in order to install the port.
 > >Release-Note:
 > >Audit-Trail:
 > >Unformatted:

 This was changed in mod_alias.c 1.46:  Fix RedirectMatch so it won't
 emit invalid Location fields.

 http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/apache-1.3/src/modules/standard/mod_al
 ias.c.diff?r1=1.45&r2=1.46

 I haven't done an exhaustive search, however the very little searching
 I did do (Saturday morning change window in 1/2 hour and I still have
 to shower before I go to work), I did not find any discussion about
 this on the web.

 Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
 Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766
 Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team      Email:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
 Open Systems Group, CITS
 Ministry of Management Services
 Province of BC